with Responsiblity for Youth & Religious Affairs
Sen. the Hon. Pamela Moses
PERMANENT SECRETARY :
Mr. Kevin Andall (Actg)
To provide opportunities for the advancement, empowerment and development of our human resource in sports; and to empower our youth for life and nation building.
To be the lead agent that provides for the holistic development of our people through youth empowerment and sports.
Structure of the Ministry
Division of Sports
The Division of sports has the overall responsibility of providing technical services and functional sporting facilities to enable mass participation of citizens in sporting activities for the development of their talent and the nation in general. Through the medium of sports, the division has a significant role to play in socio-economic and educational development.
The Division’s main Functions are to:
- Develop and implement coaching programmes in various sporting events;
- Provide playing facilities for our nation’s youth and other citizens;
- Maintain and upkeep all the nation’s playing fields;
- Organize sport competitions;
- Facilitate other sporting activities;
- Provide training and development programmes;
- Manage Physical Education programmes in collaboration with the Ministry of Education;
- Provide technical assistance;
- Develop and implement sports policies.
The objectives of the Ministry are:
- To implement an appropriate Management, Maintenance and Refurbishment Programme for all sporting facilities;
- To establish and implement Human Resource Development Programmes (Advance Counselling Programme, Reporting, Theory and Methodology of Sports);
- To continue the coaching of primary and secondary school children in the basic and advance techniques of Netball, Football, Cricket, Athletics Basketball and Swimming and provide avenues for competitions among schools at the pre-primary, primary and secondary level;
- To play an active role in promoting sports development, community sports, healthy lifestyles and physical activity;
- Preparation for and participation in regional and international sporting activities;
- Further development of our sports scholarship programme.
Division of Youth Empowerment
The main functions of the Division of Youth Empowerment are:
- Planning, implementing, managing, assessing and monitoring youth development procedures;
- Fostering youth involvement in development processes;
- Coordinating and monitoring youth-led enterprises;
- Developing and facilitating leadership, entrepreneurship and life skills training.
- To support the youth for empowerment and profitable employment by means of incentive, training and other supportive means;
- To organize young people through youth organizations, non-governmental organizations and motivate them to participate in community development activities;
- Promoting formation of youth organizations at all possible levels;
- To engage the youth in socio-economic development activities such as literacy programme, disaster management, environment conservation and health issues such as protection of HIV/AIDS and drug abuse;
- To involve the youth in the heart of national development process;
- To rehabilitate the delinquent, disorderly and idle youth into a structured, disciplined and dynamic youth force by providing vocational/skills development opportunities for their gainful employment;
- To offer young people the chance to acquire practical work skills, learn new life skills and gain confidence and new strengths.
Ministry of Youth, Sports & Ecclesiastic Affairs
Tanteen, St. George's
Tel: (473) 440-6917/ 6918
Fax: (473) 440-6924