The Mission of the Agency is to reduce the loss of life and property within Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique by ensuring that adequate preparedness, response and mitigation measures are in place to deal with the impact of hazards.
The vision of the Agency is to develop a culture of prevention and safety among all sectors of society.
ROLE OF NaDMA
The National Disaster Management Agency (NaDMA) formerly NERO was established in 1985 under a Pan Caribbean Disaster Preparedness Project. NaDMA is the body charged with the responsibility of coordinating all disaster-related activities on Grenada, Carriacou and Petite Martinique.
NaDMA is a department of the Office of the Prime Minister and is headed by the Prime Minister himself, Dr. The Right Hon. Keith Mitchell. The day to day functions of the NaDMA are executed by a Secretariat which is the National Disaster Office located at Fort Frederick, Richmond Hill, St. George’s. The Office functions with approximately eleven (11) other officers.
NATIONAL EMERGENCY ADVISORY COUNCIL
The National Emergency Advisory Council (NEAC) is the body responsible for giving general direction and control and the development of policies. These responsibilities reside with the Honourable Prime Minister. The NEAC consists of the following members:
- Honourable Prime Minister – Chairman
- Permanent Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister - Deputy Chairman
- Minister of National Security
- National Security Advisor
- Permanent Secretary Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance
- Permanent Secretary Ministry of Tourism
- Commissioner of Police
- Chief Educational Officer, Ministry of Education
- Chief Medical Officer, Ministry of Health
- Chief Technical Officer, Ministry of Communication & Works
- Chief Technical Officer, Ministry of Agriculture
- Chief Meteorologist, Point Salines International Airport
- Director of Information, GIS
- Representative, Maurice Bishop International Airport
- Representative, Grenada Ports Authority
- Representative, GRENLEC
- Representative, National Water & Sewage Authority
- Representative, Cable & Wireless
- Representative, Digicel
- Director General, Grenada Red Cross Society
- Representative, Customs & Excise Department
- Representative, National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission
- Representative, Grenada Solid Waste Management Authority
- Representative, Grenada Private Sector Organisation
- Representative Grenada Hotel and Tourism Association
- Representative, Texaco
- Representative, Shell
- Saint George’s University
- Representative, Conference of Churches Grenada
- Representative, Service Clubs – Rotary & Salvation Army
- Representative, Marketing & National Importing Board
- Representative, Trades Union Council
- Representative, National Youth Council
- Representative, IAGDO.
NATIONAL DISASTER OFFICE
The National Disaster Office overseas the work of the District Disaster Committees which function in seventeen (17) districts established along electoral boundary lines inclusive of Carriacou and Petite Martinique. These District Disaster Committees are patterned according to the National Structure and is headed by a District Disaster Coordinator who is assisted by a deputy and consists of eight (8) management committees with responsibility for the areas of Shelter Management, Safety and Security, Health and Welfare, Public Education and Information, Emergency Works and Transportation, Supplies Management, Damage and Needs Assessment and Telecommunications.
Evolving out of these District Disaster Committees are Village Sub-committees which consists of the same management committees.
HURRICANE SATELLITE IMAGERY
National Disaster Management Agency (NaDMA)
Fort Frederick, Richmond Hill
St. George's Grenada. WI.
Tel: (473) 440-0838
Fax: (473) 440-6674